Occasionally I’ll download an MKV file that I want to watch on my Xbox 360. Unfortunately the Xbox 360 doesn’t support the MKV format natively. I tried a few conversion programs but they either took hours to run or just didn’t work. I finally found a simple and quick way to play these files which I describe below. This has been tested on the Xbox 360, but you should be able to play these files on the PS3 too.
- Obtain a large USB memory stick
- Download and install Rebox.NET.
- Run Rebox.NET
- Click the “Matroska” button and select your MKV file.
- Click the “MP4” button and select the drive letter for your USB stick.
- Click the green button in the lower left corner. This will start the conversion process.
- Once the conversion process is complete then insert the USB stick into your Xbox 360 or PS3.
- Play the file on your console like usual, it should play perfectly.
Rebox.NET runs very fast because it doesn’t re-encode the video like some other programs. All it does is repackage the audio and video into the MP4 format so that consoles can play the file.